Friday, January 9, 2009

From Snow to Floods - Maintaining Order for the Rest of Us

Last time we got together we discussed how snow impacted the Seattle area. Yes we did have a white Christmas, which thrilled my wife. But now the snow is gone and we are dealing with flooding in our region.
In my last post I spoke of how the media would or would not cover the return of Christ. I want to take that same idea and go in a different direction.
Yesterday my wife and I had to travel detours becase one of the two main roads into our town was under water. It took us almost three hours to travel about 20 miles. So as I sat in traffic (the key word here is sat), I begain to look around and see how my fellow cars were dealing with the situation. Some were on cell phones, others by the movement of there heads were listening to music and one person took the law into his own hands, driving on the sholder of the road to not let cars pass and crowd in latter on down the road. Normally that kind of action is against the law and caries with it a fine of serveal hundred dollars. But last night, no one cared, because that man was our hero. Keeping order on a night when all anyone of us wanted to do was get home and out of this mess. He could have gone on ahead and crowded in, but instead he did the thing that was needed the most, keeping order for the rest of us.
Sometimes Christ calls us to ignore man's laws and strike out on our own for the betterment of society. I wonder when the time comes will we have the courage to do just that?

No comments: