Tuesday, January 13, 2009

If You Can't Trust Your Teacher, Who Can You Trust

Some of the best times I had growing up as a kid was spending time with my teachers outside of the classroom. I learned how to scout opposing Basketball teams because on some Friday nights, I would go with my sophmore basketball coach and classroom teacher to watch teams the Puyallup Vikings would play in future. We would show our league pass, buy some popcorn and sit up in the top bleacher of the gym at mid court and chart plays. As the evening wore on, not only did he teach me what to watch for, but we would also discuss life in general. When my father passed away in June of 07, one of the people I wanted to talk with was my high school debate teacher. Somehow a little part of me believed that if I just talked to "B" it would all make some sense. Never did get to, wish I had.
Where all this is leading is that thanks to a three judge Washington State appeals court ruling alot of todays kids may never get to have those memories. This afternoon the court ruled that it is not againist the law for a teacher to have sex with an 18 year old student. I will leave it to you to google the facts of the case, but the point is how many parents are going to become suspicious if their kids want to spend any quality alone time with any teacher with out red flags being raised in the back of their minds. What teacher is going to risk his or her career by offering to help a student with some quality one on one time after school. Or take them off school grounds to experience something unique like an opera or musical. How many kids will never get a chance to share, grow or learn something totally unique that only that teacher could have taught them.
Once again Christ called it, the foolish will be called wise in the eyes of humanity.

No comments: